- This event has passed.
NGIoT Thematic Workshop: Automotive Industries and Mobility
June 15, 2021 @ 1:30 pm - 4:30 pm
NGIoT Thematic workshop series on IoT and Edge Computing
This workshop on automotive industry and mobility is part of a thematic workshop series on IoT and Edge computing, organised by NGIoT, the EU IoT roadmap Horizon 2020 Coordination and Support Action in collaboration with the European Commission, DG Connect and relevant associations, networks, and projects.
In spring 2021, NGIoT workshops are dedicated to IoT and Edge computing in 6 key application domains: Smart Cities & Communities and Smart Homes; Agrifood and rural communities (30 March); manufacturing (27 April); energy and health (18 May). Automotive industry and mobility (15 June 2021)
IoT and Edge computing: Automotive Industries and Mobility
The transformation of the mobility sector is driven by electrification and automation, associated with connected services for telematics, infotainment and charging. Connected Vehicles that incorporate applications such as in-vehicle entertainment and infotainment, internet access, roadside assistance, vehicle diagnostics, navigation and advanced driver assistance services will be driving future value proposition. Connected cars, trucks, buses, and other vehicles continuously communicate with ecosystems (e.g. owners, drivers, insurers, garages, fleet managers) and environments (traffic signals, other vehicles, smart homes). This drives the transition in the automotive industry, which is moving to a service-driven economy dominated by innovative software solutions and data-driven services.
Local computing power gives greater flexibility resulting in less data being sent to the cloud. Many of the above emerging services will be connected to cloud facilities, at the same time the need for local awareness and real-time decisions drive data to the edge. It will require new ways of orchestration to address data flows, data sharing and data processing across the computing continuum (cloud – edge – IoT).
The workshop will discuss the challenge of data processing and decision making between cloud analytics and edge intelligence for in-vehicle data, roadside and environmental information and dispatch of charging data. Especially for EV charging, it will result in new value propositions and new value chains to be formed across different so-far siloed systems like mobility, energy and buildings.
Hosted by NGIoT with EU-IoT, ARTEMIS-IA, AIOTI, and the European Commission, DG Connect.
Moderator: Martin Brynskov, NGIoT coordinator, Prof. Aarhus University, DITCOM
13:30 –13:45 Welcome
- Martin Brynskov (Presentation available here PDF)
NGIoT coordinator, Prof. Aarhus University, DITCOM
- Rolf Riemenschneider (Presentation available here PDF)
Head of Sector, IoT, European Commission
- Zoe de Linde
Deputy Head of Unit, European Commission, DG Connect
13:45 – 15:15 Part I: Strategic Agendas and Positions
Cloud-Edge for in-vehicle data
- Christian Prehofer, Director, Corporate R&D, Denso Automotive (Presentation available here PDF)
- Francois Fischer, AIOTI, Mobility WG Chairman (Presentation available here PDF)
Edge intelligence through road-side and home edge devices (lighting, parking, charging, living)
- Adnan Özari, CEO and CTO, Danintra (Presentation available here PDF)
- Massimo Villari, Academic Consultant in Smart Cities for the City Council of Messina (Presentation available here PDF)
- André Duarte, Head of Future Mobility, Ubiwhere
- Lonneke Driessen, Director Standardization, Elaad NL, and Open Charge Alliance
- Sami Sahala, ITS Chief Advisor at City of Helsinki (Presentation available here PDF)
15:15 – 16:15 Part II Visions and Statements
- Short (2-minute) pitches from the audience (submit your own and see other statements here).
- Open discussion
16:15 – 16:30 Next steps: Roadmap
- Next steps towards the roadmap for IoT research, innovation and deployment in Europe.
- Martin Brynskov, NGIoT coordinator, Prof. Aarhus University, DITCOM
- Rolf Riemenschneider, Head of Sector, IoT, European Commission
NGIoT invites European industry and the public sector to reflect on the results from the NGIoT workshops and convey their position or provide spontaneous feedback on the role of IoT in Automotive Industry and Mobility with a focus on the convergence of technologies, as between IoT and Edge computing. We collect vision statements through our website:
Feedback could be provided orally or through quote and/or expression of interest in supporting the future strategic discussion on Edge Computing at the European level.