NGIoT Thematic workshop series on IoT and Edge Computing
This workshop on Manufacturing is part of a thematic workshop series on IoT and Edge computing, organised by the NGIoT and EU-IoT Coordination and Support Actions in collaboration with the European Commission and relevant associations, networks, and projects.
In spring 2021, NGIoT workshops are dedicated to IoT and Edge computing in 6 key application domains: Smart Cities & Communities; Agrifood and rural communities (30 March); manufacturing (27 April); energy and health (18 May).
IoT and Edge computing: Manufacturing
The afternoon of 27 April was dedicated to presentations and discussions in the domain of smart Manufacturing.
The purpose of this half-day workshop is to:
- identify research, innovation and deployment priorities;
- identify trends and gaps related to the uptake of IoT and addressing convergence of IoT with other technologies, specifically, the current shift from cloud to edge in the domain of manufacturing;
- address challenges that cut across the verticals and to provide a platform for discussion and exchange of learnings and use cases;
- mobilise communities around the identified solutions and the upcoming calls under the Horizon Europe and Digital Europe Programme.
Hosted by NGIoT with EU-IoT, ARTEMIS-IA, AIOTI, and the European Commission, DG Connect.
Moderators: Martin Brynskov, NGIoT coordinator, Prof. Aarhus University, DITCOM & John Soldatos, Senior Innovation Delivery Specialist, INTRASOFT & EU-IoT
13:30 – 13:45 Welcome
- Martin Brynskov
NGIoT coordinator, Prof. Aarhus University, DITCOM
- Rolf Riemenschneider (Presentation available here PDF)
Head of Sector, IoT, European Commission
- Sandro D’Elia (Presentation available here PDF)
Programme Officer, Digital Transformation of Industrial Ecosystems, DG Connect, EC
13:45 – 15:15 Part I Industrial IoT and Edge Node Use Cases
- Vivek Kulkarni, EU Project Coordinator, Siemens (Presentation available here PDF)
- Janne Ali Tolppa, Senior Research Engineer and Project Manager at Nokia Bell Labs, Nokia (Presentation available here PDF)
- Dr. Oscar Lazaro, Managing Director of Innovalia Association in Bilbao, Spain
- John Soldatos, Senior Innovation Delivery Specialist, INTRASOFT (Presentation available here PDF)
Edge node use cases
- Carlos Palau, Universitat Politècnica de València (UPV) & AssistIoT (Presentation available here PDF)
- Francesca Flamigni, TTTech Computertechnik AG (Presentation available here PDF)
- Csaba Kiraly, IoT engineer, Digital Catapult (Presentation available here PDF)
- Jan Höller, Research fellow, Ericsson
15:15 – 15:45: Part II – Visions and Statements
- Short (2-minute) pitches from the audience (submit your own and see other statements here).
- Open discussion
15:45 – 16:00 Next steps: Sector Workshops
- Short introduction to the coming sector-oriented workshop series (March – May).
NGIoT invites European industry and the public sector to reflect on the results from the NGIoT workshops and convey their position or provide spontaneous feedback on the role of IoT in Manufacturing with a focus on the convergence of technologies, as between IoT and Edge computing. We collected vision statements through our website