On 29 April EU-IoT organised the first NGIoT Community Events: EV charging – A case for the edge?
Electric vehicles represent the future and the present of transport across Europe; in 2021, EV sales were at 18.0% of total car registrations, up from a 10.5% share in 2020. This ever-growing market will bring changes and shifts in how the energy grids can leverage EV vehicles as a grid component through contextual IoT applications and edge-based AI solutions, one of the many cases for the NGIoT at the edge.
Over the next few years, it is estimated that 80% of data will be processed at the edge, compared to 20% today and the NGIoT initiative is leading this area in providing the necessary architectures, systems and use cases to bring artificial intelligence closer to the human leveraging the power of federation and swarm computing. With the direction away from a cloud-centric model becoming a reality, what implications does this have for the businesses involved? Where does the real value exist and is it enough to invest in a federated and novel edge?
This event, which took place on 29 April, focused on a specific application to highlight the technical differences between edge and cloud approaches and brought together industry experts to debate the opportunities and barriers that will arise.
The speakers at the event were:
- Tanya Suárez, CEO BluSpecs, Board Member AIOTI, Founder IoT Tribe
- Dolores Ordoñez, CEO Anysolution, Co-Chair AIOTI Energy
- Francesco Bellesini, EV use case lead – IoT NGIN Energy Living Lab, Emotion
- Dimitrios Skias, Responsible for the integration and laboratory evaluation activities, IoT NGIN
- Michael Metzger, Principal Engineer, Smart Energy Systems, Siemens
- Damian Bevan, Cloud Architecture Lead, Gemserv
- Laurent Schmitt, President Digital4Grids
- Marion Malafosse, Policy Manager, smartEn
Watch here the recording of the workshop: